BevMax is your wine & liquor super store with discounts on WINE, BEER and LIQUOR.
Search
Find a store
 
Sledgehammer Cabernet Sauvignon 750ml 2013
Sku: 35156
Never mind the French sounding name, this Cabernet Sauvignon is All American. Grown in Northern California, the Sledgehammer Cab offers a smooth, rich flavor that pairs well with prime steaks, n ...more
Product Rating
Product Information
Country: United States
Region: California
Sub-Region: Sonoma County
Grape Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon
Type: Still wine
Reg. $12.64
On Sale $10.99
Buy Sledgehammer Cabernet Sauvignon

Pricing on our website is from our Stamford CT store and applicable to the Stamford store only.


Leave a Comment
Never mind the French sounding name, this Cabernet Sauvignon is All American. Grown in Northern California, the Sledgehammer Cab offers a smooth, rich flavor that pairs well with prime steaks, not baguettes and frites
Producer
During the XI century, on a ridge covered with olive groves and vineyards dominating the Pesa valley “…facing the Petrojo Castle and alongside the Passignano abbey, the Buondelmonti family of Florence constructed a fortified castle that dominated some of the most frequented roads of the parish…”. This hamlet was given the name of Fabbrica (the place name ”Fabbrica” derives from the Latin ‘faber’, indicating its past as an important foundry). The castle remained the property of the Buondelmontis until the family’s extinction during the first half of the eighteenth century, when it passed into the hands of the Rinuccini and then the Corsini families. The latter owned it until 1920 when it was acquired by Count Piatti dal Pozzo. The present owners, the Vicini family, inherited it in 1946. The castle was surrounded by fortifications which occupied the entire summit of the hillside. Within these walls the nobles’ residence, the storerooms, the wine cellars, the grain stores and the charming parish church were located, with the farm workers’ houses all around. After the battle of Monteaperti in 1260, the castle was partially dismantled by the Ghibellines, and over the course of time it was transformed into a villa constructed around a keep and two towers. The farm today takes its name from the church dedicated to Sant’Andrea. The facade is crowned by a pediment with split whorls and two pyramid-shaped pinnacles and dates from the end of the XVIII century. Next to the church is the oratory, whose facade depicts the arms of the Buondelmonti family. This was probably constructed on the site of the roman church The villa conserved the two great towers of the old castle until the last century, but they were destroyed by bombing during the second world war. All that remains today of the ancient walls are the ‘torrino’, the defensive tower, and the ruins of a fortified gateway on one side of the main driveway. Notwithstanding the changes and the destruction, the might and importance of this historic place are still evident. Other buildings snake down the hillside from the highest point of the estate. Amongst these are the historic wine cellars, entirely excavated under the hillside itself and arranged in two parallel chambers where the wine, in obscure silence, gently ages in oak casks and ‘barriques’.